Monday, August 29, 2011

Sea Licious Survives, Mariana Probably A Loss

>Many Boats Damaged as Hurricane Irene Roars Through Broad Creek



Two boats at McCotter's have captured my special interest, and I first want to let reader Julian, owner of SeaLicious, a Pearson 303, get a gander at his rig, which appears below.



Looks great Julian. You are a lucky sailor, since right next to your boat were so many wrecks I couldn't count them. Most of the boats that were in the remaining boathouse were lost or damaged, as you can see below. Pictured below is (I think) Happy Sails, a Columbia 24, and Caroline. Both were damaged, but not sunk. Also, behind Happy Sails is a San Juan 28 which lies buried under tin roofing from the former boathouse. Even further back is Athena, which stands completely upon the dock!



Mariana is a Sam Crocker "Amantha" Class Cutter belonging to Don Justin, who made the difficult journey to see his sailboat. I met him on shore, and ferried him out to his boat, which was inaccessible from shore. She had risen on the amazing 8-10 foot storm surge, and settled down, fatally, on a piling. Only this prevents her from sinking now. She once belonged to G. Gordon Liddy. Don peers into the cabin to retrieve a souvenir, an irreplaceable knife from his Navy service.




Hurricane Irene has probably put an end to this beautiful and historic boat. The loss of a boat is a sad thing, but not knowing could be worse. I hope I have helped to put a few minds to rest.



I have many photos of other boats, most have survived, some have not. I will be happy to provide photos to anyone requesting information. Washington, NC has restored electrical service to many areas, fuel seems to be available, and McCotter's is open. The lift dock is damaged and must be repaired before any boats can be launched, or pulled out to be inspected for damage. The small boat ramp is also blocked by debris. Let me know if I can be of assistance as recovery from Hurricane Irene continues.





9 comments:

Don Justin said...

Captain Chris,
Thanks again for the ride yesterday and the photos. My email is drj1229@yahoo.com. Drop me a line and I can send you a before Irene picture. Keep up the good work Shipmate.
Don Justin
CWO USN (Retired)

Les said...

Sorry to see Mariana took such a beating. My Name is Les Shelton I own SKI GULL the Bristol 28 that is on the same dock almost behind Mariana.
you can reach me at iiilps@aol.com

Chris M. said...

Les, did you get your boat out, I didn't see it out there.

Chris M. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chris M. said...

Don, I've sent you a few pictures I took so you can better see the craft. You are welcome for the ride, and I'll try to keep it up.

Gregg said...

Hey Chris,

Found a way to contact you, mine is/was on the boat yard at McCotter's, do you have any pics of the boatyard?

gregg.tilghman@gmail.com

Gregg said...

is athena's owner named Chuck?

Chris M. said...

I didn't greet Athena's owner by name, but he was aboard his craft at the time. It could be Chuck. What boat is yours? I really took more pics next door at Captain Sam's. They had fifteen or more boats on the ground, though their docks fared notably better than McCotter's. And McCotter's yard looked fine, with one powerboat "Our Waterfront Property" on the ground, plus another in the back of the yard.

Anonymous said...

Athena owner's name is chuck.