Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Athena up in the Air

Orion Appears to be in Good Shape




Met the owner of Athena, briefly. Like Marshall, he spent the night on his boat at the dock, but things got complicated. He' is going to need a crane to get this baby off of the dock.

Katherine the Grate is in a tight squeeze as seen here, but perhaps is not as bad as she seems. Paul and I both commented on how tough fiberglass boats can be, until they aren't.


Here's a general view from the north of the chaos Irene left behind.



In regards to Paul, an owner, who requested information, I have added a photo of several well-tied boat, among them Orion on the South Dock, which appears, from sixty feet, to be in good shape. I know some boats were retied due to the massive storm surge, and many docklines parted in the storm, so there may have been rubbing or other damage, all I can see is what's in the photo here. Hopefully she fared well.




I have some more photos coming, I am hearing from many owners about boats they own and hoping for good news. I have photos of Delphine, Orphan Annie, Antidote, Beautiful Day, Orion, Animal Lover, Island Time, Equinox, Princess, and some others, including a Catalina 36 from WYC which dragged mooring through the far end of the fuel dock. Here's hoping your boat is OK, can be fixed, was insured, or needed hauling out anyway. Peace, Chris.

5 comments:

Paul said...

You said; "I have photos of Delphine, Orphan Annie, Antidote, Beautiful Day, Orion, Animal Lover, Island Time, Equinox, Princess, and some others, including a Catalina 36 from WYC which dragged mooring through the far end of the fuel dock." I was looking for photo or info related to Orion. do you have it posted and I just didn't find it or...? Thanks, Paul

Chris M. said...

Paul, thanks for looking at my blog, and nothing could please me more than helping boat owners rest their mind. I have added a photo of three boats, with Orion on the right, so you can see she has her mast and is floating, she looks...well, fine. But I wasn't very close, and it was a giant hurricane that passed over, so no promises, OK?

Paul said...

Thank you!!
Certainly looks like no major issues. Being half the country away kinda leaves me hanging.
Paul

online sailing course said...

Quite commendable for the work that you are doing, I am also concerned about the tragedies caused and would like to know how we could work together in such situations.

san blas sailing said...

As the body of the Sailboat, the Hull needs proper care and maintenance. But it depends on the type of material it is made of. Repair any damages, even minor ones, when you lift the boat ashore. You may also need to apply one or two coats of anti-fouling paint to avoid underwater fouling