Sunday, August 28, 2011

Hurricane Irene Slams Marina





McCotter's Marina Damaged by Irene


Another Boathouse Gone

Once again, McCotter's Marina suffers losses, this time from the Category 1 Hurricane Irene. I only have local news reports to go by, and I will confirm this information when Paul and I return to retrieve Piper and Paul's boat from Broad Creek.

This photo seems to show the wreckage at the docks of the marina, east of Washington, NC




A combination of hurricane force gusts and storm surge likely caused this collapse, I doubt anything could have been done.

The storm surge on the western shores of Pamlico Sound was predicted to be massive as this map of risk indicates.


The red areas are in the Neuse River, and the Pamlico River near McCotters is the shaded in brown, indicating nearly as severe a risk of flooding.

With that in mind, Paul's family and I zipped down to McCotters to ensure the safety of their 29 foot Columbia, Delphine. Our strategy was to anchor her out in the creek, where she could ride over the storm surge. At dock, she would likely be damaged by surge and waves and it was too late to have her hauled out. She had been up on stands for the previous two years. Also the flood might float her off of any stands that the staff might set up.

Here she sits on stands in October.



Below, after Hurricane Irene has passed, a boat is stranded blocking the road; this sort of damage is the reason there is currently a curfew in Washington, NC.



In a photo also from the Washington Daily News, boats in slips ride out the storm while the docks are awash.



Finally, from the WDN, from the Washington waterfront is this well-anchored sailboat with a branch, riding safely on the Pamlico River.



With Luck, Delphine is fine, Piper and Paul actually used three anchors to secure her. If no trees or boats ran into the sailboat, then she will be as we left her on Thursday. The eyewall of Irene was around 25 mile from McCotter's Marina, so no one could be confident of complete protection. I'm sure the staff did all they could to protect their property and that of clients. I hate to see property damaged, but the most important thing in a dangerous situation is to protect life and limb, and once again, no lives were lost as McCotter's suffers their continuing bad luck.



7 comments:

Julian (SeaLicious) said...

I have a Pearson 303 (Sealicious)that was just on the creek side of the covered section. What is the best way to get a status on her? Do you know if Mark and the guys are in today?

captainhottie said...

Nice reporting, photos and graphics once again, Chris. Hope your friends' boat has survived. McCotter's really has not had Lady Luck on it's side recently.

Chris M. said...

I'm feelin' your worry Julian. I will post an update as soon as possible. I'm not directly in contact with the marina, so I wish you luck as to the safety of your sailboat. Let me know what you find out as well.

Don Justin said...

Chris,
Thanks again for taking me out to my boat, "Mariana". The lost of this old Lady is difficult, but no one was hurt and you are a class act. As I mentioned on the ride out, she was a Sam Crocker "Amantha" Class Cutter. her keel was laid in Sam's Boatyard back in 1939. I bought her after I retired from 34 years in the Navy, I sailed her down from D.C. in '08 and spent 2 years restoring her at McCotter's. I'll send you a before picture as soon as I figure out how to.
thanks again
Don Justin
CWO USN (Retired)
100% Disable Veteran

Julian (SeaLicious) said...

Thanks Chris- SeaLicious came out pretty well. She is floating and mast seems to be intact. I will head down friday and take some pices. I have a couple that Melissa sent me if you want them- let me know and I will email them to you.

David V. Fansler said...

As the owner of S/V Annabelle, the boat shown as "well anchored", I am honored to have been mentioned in your post. The powerboat seen with Annabelle had broken lose and drifted down over Annabelle's position. I drove Annabelle against her anchors for 6 hours before finally tying the power boat to me for the night.

SeaLicous - I think you and I passed each other in the channel leaving Ocracoke back in July - i was under sail and you were motoring. If that was you, I have some good photos of you. If interested, please email me at dfansler@dv-fansler.com.
kind regards,
David

Chris M. said...

Great job, I think anchoring out was really the best way. Glad you were honored by my blog! Annabelle was featured in a spread in the Washington Daily News, and I give credit to the real reporters who not only covered the storm, but had to protect their own property, and even lives. I'm glad to be able to cover this story safely from Carrboro! I have a bunch more pics of SeaLicious for Julian, with the carnage in the background, he did a great job securing his boat also. It helps to have fewer boats roaming around unpiloted.